Dapper to be delayed 6 weeks...

Greg Madden gomadtroll at gci.net
Thu Mar 16 05:31:17 GMT 2006

On Monday 13 March 2006 21:18, James Gray wrote:
> From a ZDnet article:
> http://tinyurl.com/m8v4n
>
> "New versions of Ubuntu Linux have been released at a steady six-month
> cadence, but project founder Mark Shuttleworth is considering a
> six-week delay to improve the reliability of an important new version.
>
> The next version, called Dapper Drake, is due in April. It's the first
> version that will have longer-term support commitments -- three years
> for the desktop computer version and five years for servers, compared
> to 18 months for the current 5.10 'Breezy Badger version.
>
> Getting those features right is important, Shuttleworth said in an
> e-mail on Friday. 'We will live with Dapper for five years -- so let's
> give it a few extra weeks now so that it can be a real asset to the
> Ubuntu project for the full duration of its lifespan,' Shuttleworth
> said."
>
> Discuss at will, but don't shoot the messenger :P
>
> Cheers,
>
> James

I don't own a gun :-) I think it is preposterous to think you can create
an enterprise ready OS in 6 months, even starting with a snapshot of
Debian unstable. The past releases have shown this to be true, imho. The
6 weeks delay is nothing , time wise, and I hate the terms 'polish &
shine' being used to justify the delay. An OS is either rock solid,
robust and reliable to put into any critical situation, or it should sit
on the shelf.

--
Greg Madden