Cat Command

Brad De Vries devriesbj at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 18:44:11 UTC 2006

On 3/14/06, Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Back in the /dev/null discussion there was some talk of the "cat"
> command (or something like that).  What's that?  I'm not familiar with
> that and I lost my "Linux in a Nutshell" book about a week ago.  I
> suspect it's hiding behind my other books on my desk, but I haven't
> looked yet.
>
> Also, I started a blog about my adventures in learning more about
> Linux.  It's at www.thedarkesttower.blogspot.com in case anybody's
> interested.
>
> --
> ========== GCv3.12 ==========
> GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
> L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
> V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
>                 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
> ========= END GCv3.12 ========

There's been a lot of talk about using the "man" (manual) subsystem.
I'd like to add to that slightly.  Using KDE, you can hit <ALT><F2>
(or K --> Run Command) and type "man:/cat" to bring up the manual page
for the "cat" command.  This will work for virtually any command.  Try
these for fun:

man:/intro  (shows the intro manual page)
man:/man  (shows the man manual page)
man:/  (shows a list of manual sections as available links)

This functionality is run through the Konqueror browser, so you can
easily just type the command into any Konqueror session you currently
have running.

HTH,
Brad.