Re. FTP help, clarified

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sun Mar 12 01:34:17 GMT 2006

On Saturday 11 March 2006 17:04, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Richard Crawford wrote:
> > Are you aware that you can use KDE itself as an FTP client?  Open up an
> > instance of Konqueror -- click on your "Home" directory icon or go to
> > System -> Home, then type the URL of your FTP site into the address bar.

> > To me, this feature alone makes KDE infinitely superior to Windows.
>
> Well, if you just put it like that, there's not much superiority.  IE does
> FTP as well as Konqueror does.  What makes KDE so superior is being able to
> do it over SSH _and_ the fact that any other KDE app can make use of the
> kio slaves to do the same thing.

Heh.  Yeah, I mentioned that KDE also connects to Samba servers as well as ssh
servers, and you can easily drag files from one FTP server to another or from
a Samba server to an SSH server.  And yes, the kio slaves are really, really
nice.

WRT IE, I did use IE as an FTP client a few times, but found it unacceptably
slow.  Every time I'm stuck on a Windows box I make sure Filezilla is
installed so I can do the kind of file manipulations I need to.  But KDE is
infinitely better at that kind of management.  Makes me wonder why people
other than hardcore gamers stick with Windows.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie