Re. FTP help, clarified

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Sat Mar 11 17:00:41 UTC 2006

On Saturday 11 March 2006 08:47, DonDashGuitar wrote:
> Thomas, I use an FTP client to upload files to my website.  A username as
> well as a password is required and a GUI interface would make it far easier
> to keep track of what's on the site as well as whatever I'm adding/editing.
>
> Frank, gFTP will do very nicely.  Thanks for your input.

Don,

Are you aware that you can use KDE itself as an FTP client?  Open up an
instance of Konqueror -- click on your "Home" directory icon or go to System
-> Home, then type the URL of your FTP site into the address bar.

Also look into the knetattach tool to create a permanent link to a remote
folder.  You can create folders for servers connected to by FTP, SSH, Samba,
and so on.

The Fish protocol lets you do the same with folders connected to your system
via SSH.

With KDE set up like this, moving a file from a networked Windows server
connected by Samba to a remote web server with only SSH available is as
simple as dragging a file from one Konqueror window to another.  I frequently
move photos from my Sony Clie to my website by mounting the Clie's memory
stick as a local media resource, then dragging the photos straight from that
folder to my website's images directory.

If you do prefer an old fashioned FTP client like Filezilla, the "official"
KDE tool is "Bear".  Look for it at kde-apps.org.  But KDE is meant to be
able to handle this kind of file transfer on its own.

To me, this feature alone makes KDE infinitely superior to Windows.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie