dovecot, kmail & thunderbird

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Mar 6 23:54:37 UTC 2006

Art Alexion wrote:

> Feeling kinda stupid here.  This is supposedly easy to use stuff.
>
> Goal:
>
>     To share mailboxes with kmail & Thunderbird.
>
> Plan:
>
>     To set up a local IMAP server using dovecot which fetches mail from
>     3 POP servers, and access the IMAP folders with either kmail or
>     Thunderbird.
>
> Problem:
>
>     I can't figure out how to configure dovecot or kmail and
>     Thunderbird.  All of my Google searches seem to skip over the
>     nitty-gritty details.

In Kontact, Settings/Configure KMail/Accounts/Receiving/Add - add an IMAP
account on localhost.  It's that easy.  Make your MTA deliver
into /var/mail/$USER in maildir format.  If you want to have
procmail/maildrop filter into specific folders, first, it's easiest to
create folders in your MUA see where they get put, then use those directory
names in the MDA.

You may perhaps be missing the step between Fetchmail and Dovecot - you need
either an MTA (exim, postfix, or my preference masqmail) or an MDA
(procmail, maildrop).  If you use the MTA, you simply deliver to SMTP port
25 (fetchmail's default, iirc).  If you use the MDA there's a fetchmail
option to specify the program name and options to pass the message to it.

I don't currently have a working T-bird, but it's pretty much the same to
set up a local IMAP account.
--
derek