kde and 'disappeared' tty session

mollica.luca at hsr.it mollica.luca at hsr.it
Mon Mar 6 23:47:58 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have tried to check all the things indicated in the reply to my mail
(by James Gray) and I have discovered that everything was fine both in
my /etc/inittab and /boot/grub/menu.lst (both attached), in which in
particular there
was not anything about a vga device (vga=0 or vga=???).
Please note that my video card is an nVidia GeForce FX 5600 Go and the
machine is a Sony Vaio PCG-GRT816S)

 http://tuxmobil.org/sony_grt816s.html

and with a previus installation of  suse 9.0 and 9.3 everything
(included the usage of drivers) was fine, and at the moment nvidia
drivers and 3D acceleration works.

Activating as suggested a vga flag in the menu.lst (the one attached
works with no errors and without ttys other than tty7) file of grub
when the system is restarted the kubuntu screensplash does not appear
and only the text tty are opened for boot and visible, and after
finishing all the boot operations nVidia splash appears and graphical
login appears. It seems to be fine, apart from the absence of KUBUNTU
logo on the splash but ... there is a stange error about the
unavailability of the kernel module

/lib/modules/2.6.12-9-386/initrd/vesafb.ko

that is exactly there but it is not seen by the modules loading ...

The situation seems to be ow even more strange .... do you have any
hints ??

Thanx