nvidia drivers ....

mollica.luca at hsr.it mollica.luca at hsr.it
Sun Mar 5 17:45:21 GMT 2006

Hi James and you all,

thanks for the advices, but xorg.conf did not answer to any questions
apart the fact that in the errors reported in the log file only 'no
screens found' was the error reported and that there was a mismatch
between the version of Xorg and the version of Nvidia drivers.
And unfortunately this fact was leading me to completely wrong
considerations about the failur of the graphical front end of the
system at which I was working.

I had finally solved the issue and wanted to report here the solution
not to leave the thread open: the problem was the usage of the ubuntu
repository kernel modules for nvidia cards that were installed even
without I knew about it. After removal and installation of the nvidia
drivers downloaded from the website everything was fine.

Just curiosity: on the desktop machine I used to work on I believed
that it was my fault, but working on a laptop machine I realized that
the same problems appaeared one more time. But luckily, then I knew
how to solve .... I was , anyway, surprised about this automatic
installation of these modules.

Now I am experiencing another strange problem that I am posting with
another theread not to create confusion.

Moreover, Thanks to all for answers (every time, anyway, useful for
good knowledge:) )