[OBORONA-SPAM] KDE Volume Control Settings

Brad De Vries devriesbj at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 16:55:06 GMT 2006

On 3/2/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/2/06, Javier <javiermon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Use find.
> >
> > Man can be used to search for text inside text and/or name of files.
> > Man it's man page, right now I'm not in front of my pc and I can't
> > give you an exact command, but i remmber that the manual page has
> > examples.
> >
> > Hope it helps
> > --
> >
> > Javier
> >

> Thanks Javier. I have read the man page and "find -help" as was
> reccommended in the man page. However, I cannot figure out which
> option searches inside files. There were no examples in the man page,
> nor in -help (Though the man page said that there would be).
>
> If anyone is familiar with find, please tell me which option to use to
> search inside of files. Thank you.
>
> Dotan Cohen
> http://song-lirics.com/sl/artist/618/youth-asylum-lirics.php

Dotan, I think what John was suggesting is that you combine the two
commands to do exactly what you want.  The 'find' command will look
for files based on filename, etc.  The 'grep' command will scan
through a file looking for text.  If you put them together, you'd get
something like this:

find / -name "*.txt" -exec grep -il "search string" {} \;

This command will:
1) search across the entire filesystem (/)
2) look for files that match the name "*.txt"
3) grep (look inside) each file for the string "search string",
ignoring case (-i) and only printing the filename (-l)

He also suggested running it via 'sudo' because a regular user
wouldn't be able to look inside many files due to security
restrictions.

HTH,
Brad.