Separate toolbar

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Fri Jun 30 17:38:00 UTC 2006

On Fri, June 30, 2006 10:01 am, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> I just set up Kubuntu for a linux user. She used to have Kanotix. And
> in her install the Toolbar was separated out like for Gnome: i.e., the
> launch apps were all below, while a bar at the top of the screen
> showed which apps had been opened. She would like that functionality,
> but I couldn't figure out how to do that. Could someone point me in
> the right direction?

Right-click on the taskbar in the KDE panel and remove it (and any
other things you don't want in there).

Then right click on the KDE panel and add an External Taskbar.  Be
default, it will put it on the opposite side of the screen from the
KDE panel, so it will appear at the top of the screen.

Finally, go into System Settings or KControl, and configure the KDE
panel to appear on the top of the display and the external taskbar to
display on the bottom.  I do not recall off-hand where in System
Settings this is (I'm in Debian at the moment), but in KControl it's
located under Desktop -> Panels.  You'll see a drop-down list at the
top that lets you select whether you are configuring the main panel or
the external taskbar.

This is the setup I have on all my KDE stations.  I find it so much
nicer to work with.  The KDE panel auto-hides and is only used for
launching programs (buttons for all my most-used apps), the clock, and
the system tray.  The taskbar is at the bottom of the screen, always
visible, with just the active apps appearing in it.  So much cleaner
and uncluttered compared to the default KDE panel with everything in
it.  :)  (And works with multi-monitor displays a lot nicer, as the
taskbar stretches across all of them, but the panel is limited to 1
monitor -- at least in my setup.)

----
Freddie Cash, LPCI-1 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca