SOLVED! - cpu usage too high, entire system sluggish, top is messed up

Jorge Tomé Hernando jorge at jorgetome.info
Fri Jun 30 10:51:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, June 30, 2006 12:11, Johannes Schill said:

> Jorge Tomé Hernando wrote:
>> Solution was indeed easier.
>> Adding "noapic" to the boot parameters the problem has totally
>> disappear.
>>

> It didnt work for me. I added noapic and it's still between 20-80% all
> the time.
>
> My laptop is a dell inspiron 6000 with an Intel Celeron M360 (1.4Ghz 1MB
> L2 cache 400MHz FSB), 2gb ram and 128MB shared graphics memory (intel).

I suppose that we are (I was) suffering different problems.

I would like to know which is exactly the effect of the noapic setting. I
have just read in a forum (related with ESX) that noapic should not be
used except in debugging circumstances because it sets the PCI interrupt
management in an old way with some limitations instead of the current way
(IOAPIC) that it seems to be very better.

I only know that my laptop is totally unusable if I do not use the noapic
setting in the booting process. I would like to know if using noapic i am
scacrifying some performance and if there is something (for example
adjusting some BIOS setting) i can do to fix it.

Greetings

--
Jorge Tomé Hernando
http://www.jorgetome.info