Another problem with network

jerry jturba at nethere.com
Thu Jun 29 21:43:42 BST 2006

Andreas Ruppen wrote:
>> jerry at backup:~ $ netstat -r
>> Kernel IP routing table
>> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
>> Iface
>> localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0
>> eth0
>
> ok i still think its a routing problem.
>> jerry at backup:~ $ sudo route add -net 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0
>> Usage: inet_route [-vF] del {-host|-net} Target[/prefix] [gw Gw] [metric
>> M] [[dev] If]
>>         inet_route [-vF] add {-host|-net} Target[/prefix] [gw Gw] [metric
>>         M]
>>                                [netmask N] [mss Mss] [window W] [irtt I]
>>                                [mod] [dyn] [reinstate] [[dev] If]
>>         inet_route [-vF] add {-host|-net} Target[/prefix] [metric M]
>>         reject
>>         inet_route [-FC] flush      NOT supported
>
> ok it's my fault. The man page is too old in fact the command should be
> jerry at backup:~ $ sudo route add -net 192.168.1.0 netmask  255.255.255.0
> maybe you must replace -net by -host but i think not.
> Can you post the output of netstat -r but this time on the other machine.
> The machine form wich you can do ssh.
>

>>> 2) for the ssh issue is sshd running on the other machine?
>>> try /etc/init.d/ssh start (as sudo).
>> jerry at backup:~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start
>>   * Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server...
>>                        [fail]
>> jerry at backup:~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/ssh stop
>>   * Stopping OpenBSD Secure Shell server...
>>                        [ ok ]
>> jerry at backup:~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/ssh start
>>   * Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server...
>>                        [ ok ]
> to log into the other machine sshd must run on the machine 192.168.1.50
> main.jerrysdomain.com main. So the the command
> jerry at main:~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/ssh restart
> but this time on the other machine (main.jerrysdomain.com)
>

>> Can I assume that port 22 is open on the other computer to receive ssh
>> if it can send through ssh?
> if there is no firewall on the other machine yes. Try
> jerry at main:~ $ sudo iptables -L
> but also on the other machine (main.****)
>
>> I have been trying a lot of changes to various networking files. After a
>> change is all I need to do is restart /etc/init.d/ssh  or networking?
> Depends on wich file you touched. restart networking alos just to be sure.I

I shut down iptables and firewall on the other computer and still no luck.

I dug up an unbuntu livecd and decided to try to run that on the other
computer. After setting up the configs I could ssh and ping both
directions. The problem is obviously there. I could not determine
where the problem is. I prefer to use kubuntu and will wipe other the
install on the other computer and use kubuntu.

Thanks to you and John for your help and patience.

Jerry