Intergrating Firefox and Tbird to KDE- lots of info, no solution!

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Wed Jun 28 12:58:24 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 27 June 2006 09:13, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 June 2006 08:49, Art Alexion wrote:
> > On Monday 26 June 2006 18:20, Jacob Rideout wrote:
> > > check this out too: http://konquefox.free.fr/index.html
> > >
> > > It tells you how to change the file picker dialog among other things.
> >
> > That's great.  Thanks.  Also, I figured out why gtk2-engines-gtk-qt is
> > installed on my system, yet Firefox still uses the gtk dialogs.  I am
> > using Firefox 1.5.x on Breezy installed at /opt/firefox whereas the
> > package only affects the Breezy default 1.0.2 at /usr/lib.
>
> Did you get this figured out correctly?

I don't know.  I diagnosed what was wrong correctly, I think, and used the
suggestions on the page to get KDE-looking dialogs (but not real ones)[1],
installed the gtk2-engines-gtk-qt (this did not work the way I expected)[2]
and installed the KDE icon extension (bizarre behavior)[3].

[1] While the dialogs look more like KDE dialogs, they don't have the
functionality.  The directory navigator functions like GTK 1.x -- a drop down
without the ability to type the path and without the KDE directory name
completion.  I may go back to the GTK 2 in the original configuration.  Not
as good as KDE, but much better than GTK 1.  Like I mentioned earlier, I
don't care how it looks so much as how it functions.

[2] Apparently, the package provides ability to intercept GTK calls from GTK
programs and translates them to KDE calls.  It functions at the KDE
environment level, and not at the individual program level.  By installing
using autopackage, I now have two tabs in kcontrol where I can choose to have
GTK apps use KDE features, but neither of them provide this functionality in
firefox.  Actually, I don't know whether they provide the functionality to
any apps.

[3] When I installed the Konquefox and Crystal icons extensions, Konquefox
seemed to install correctly, but the icon extension produces no error but
disappears from the extension dialog upon installation.  I have restarted
firefox, but the Konquefox extension doesn't seem to do anything.

> If so could you please post it on
> the wiki so we all know how?

Based on the foregoing, I don't think a wiki article about the failures is
appropriate.  I'd like to hear if anyone had success with this.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.
Info @