about usb2

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jun 27 13:19:25 UTC 2006

Henri Girard wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an archos (audio video mp4 reader) on usb2, usb2 are connected to
> belkin pci card. I tried the connection on few flavours of linux,
> finally i choosed dapper. Each time i open my archos i have two mounts :
> sda and sda1, but sda had nothing always empty and sda1 has the
> arborescence. If i closed usb2 sda sda1 closed too ?
> Is this normal behavior ?

This is perfectly normal behavior.  The usb device exposes a SCSI disk
interface, so the device is /dev/sda and the _partition_ on the device
is /dev/sda1.  You can't possibly get rid of the /dev/sda* devices (or you
could, but then you'd never see your archos device!), but what exactly are
you complaining about?  Are you seeing multiple mount points appearing on
your desktop?  That can probably be fixed.
--
derek