apt archives

Joe Hart j.hart at hccnet.nl
Fri Jun 23 20:07:35 UTC 2006

Bas Spitters wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> What is the status of archives like:
> deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-latest dapper main
> deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde-353 dapper main
>
> I would like to use a new KDE, but do not want me system to become unstable.
> I seems that these archives regularly provide updates. Is it safe to apply
> them or will this make me system unstable?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bas

KDE 3.3 has many bug fixes. I was hesitant as well to upgrade, but found
it well worth it. It's a bit quicker and it has yet to crash. (Been
using it both on my 64 bit and my 32 bit installations.

Debian has already moved it into etch, so that means they think it is
relatively safe to use.

You might want to take a look at the kubuntu wiki. There's a mention of
how to turn konqueror back into the kde version instead of the kubuntu.
I find the standard version (mainly the toolbars) much better. I
couldn't figure out how to create the buttons on the kubuntu version to
change the view mode, and didn't know they existed until I saw it on a
friends' machine.