cannot install with apt-get

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Jun 22 18:04:21 UTC 2006

Matthew Kuiken wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>
>>> And as soon as I removed
>>> the lines corresponding to the cdrom, it installed fine from the web.
>>>

>> I don't see how that can happen.  The CD is just another repository.  If
>> the web repos have later versions than the CD, you should get the web
>> versions.
>>
> But if the same version is on the CD and on the web, the installer
> prefers the CD in order to save download time. For those of us who don't
> always have the CD handy, but have a fast Internet connection, it is
> more convenient to remove the CD from sources.list.

Ah!  I think I finally see the light.  Dotan wanted something he didn't
already have installed, but he didn't actually have the CD available.  It's
never been a problem for me, because my CDs are always a release behind
what I'm actually running, so the latest version of practically everything
is on the net.

Still, ime, if you have multiple (http) sources specified for the same repo,
it will check the second if the first is unavailable.  Apparently that
isn't true if one repo is http and one's on CD - which seems worth a
wishlist bug report.
--
derek