apt-get update error

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jun 21 19:16:52 UTC 2006

Nigel Ridley wrote:

> I live in Israel and a fresh install always appends the country code,
> il, to the front of all the url's in my sources.list,ie.:
>
> deb http://il.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main restricted
>
> So you might try adding something similar (depending on where you
> live) to your sources.list and see if it helps - it should since it
> will be a different mirror.
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel

Well it would be deb http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu breezy main ...
except gb.archive.ubuntu.com is just an alias to archive.ubuntu.com :p

But, I did go and try the ie.archive.ubuntu.com as that was probably the
next closest mirror and that worked fine,
(except it tried to connect to the IPv6 address:
[2001:770:18:aa40::c101:c145] :-p I use IP6 in my network so I can't
really turn that off, so I changed it to deb http://193.1.193.69/ubuntu/
dapper main ...)
then I changed it back to archive.ubuntu.com and all was well.

Just one of those things I guess. :-)

Tez