How to disable root account?

John L Fjellstad john-ubuntu at
Tue Jun 20 23:21:05 BST 2006

Joe Hart <j.hart at> writes:

> Since sudo wants the root password, it is safe to put all users in the
> admin group since they would still need to know the root password to
> do anything.  On my kids' computer it works well, as I don't have to
> change users to do things.

Why go through all this trouble when you could just not put people in
the admin group? Isn't it like giving everybody a key to your house, and
then put a fence in front of the door.  Why not just not give everybody
a key to the house in the first place?

John L. Fjellstad
web:          Quis custodiet ipsos custodes