usb mp3player doesn't automount

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 20 01:27:02 UTC 2006

polariscorp at free.fr wrote:

> i have also a problem with automount, in fact my usb drive does not
> automount at all (i see the icon on the desktop then a pop up asking me
> what to do)

I had the same problem.  I would plug in my usb drive and a popup would come
up and say "blah blah, would you like to open this in a new window?"  I
click yes and konqueror would start with "system:/media/sdb1" in the url
bar and a nice little error message saying it can't find sdb1 or something
like that.

I did two things and now everything works as it should:
1)  installed kde-hal-device-manager (from universe)
2)  added my user to the plugdev group (as per Ian Rose's instructions in a

I'm sorry, I don't know which of those two things (or if both) fixed the
problem.  I should be more methodical next time.

-- Christopher