Wireless woes - ndiswrapper

Roger Haxton rhaxton at swbell.net
Mon Jun 19 17:10:26 UTC 2006

On Monday 19 June 2006 08:31, Joseph wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I recently moved from another distro and Kubuntu 606.  I added
> ndiswrapper (per instructions
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/Driver/Ndiswrapper?action=show&redirect=Se
>tupNdiswrapperHowto) and installed the driver per the instructions on the
> Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Ndiswrapper websites.  I see the drivers loaded and the card
> active as eth1 and NOT wlan0.  So the output of ndiswrapper -l shows the
> driver loaded and available.  Iwconfig output looks fine and I did do a
> ifup eth1 and I see a dhcp request.  Strangely  for some reason when I do a
> ifconfig I  do NOT see eth1 as a listed and active interface.  All my Kde
> networking tools seem unable to associate with any access point.  Anyone
> seen this before?  Any help is deeply appreciated. =)
>
> Thanks,

I just went through this pain yesterday.  I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 with a
Broadcom 4306 MiniPCI Wireless adapter.  I went through the steps to get the
firmware installed to use the bcm43xx driver to work.  The card came up as
eth1, and it could see my access point, but I could never get it to pull an
IP address from my DHCP server.  I blacklisted the driver
in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and used ndiswrapper and everything works as
advertised.  Of course the next pain was getting either ifplugd or network
manager to work properly with my card.  I finally got network manager working
(although in KDE I do have to re-enter the WEP key frequently rather than it
just loading as it does in GNOME.)
--
~R~