Installer hanging

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Mon Jun 19 15:53:50 UTC 2006

"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen at gmail.com> writes:

> On 19/06/06, Bruno Patini Furtado <bpfurtado at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Every Operating System that is supposed to boot from a hard disk needs to
>> have at least one of its partition bootable. With Linux this is not
>> different ;)

If "bootable" means having the "bootable" bit set in the MBR partition
table (and that's want it means to almost everyone), then it has
nothing to do with Linux; it has to do with the boot loader.  And
Grub and Lilo don't care which partition(s) is (marked) bootable in
the partition table.

> So I can either have /boot bootable, or have no /boot and make /
> bootable. Thanks.

Again, forget "bootable".  When you (or the installer) configure the
boot loader, you'll be configuring the proper kernel to boot and the
root partition for the main file system.

> I tried both way, and cannot install: the installer hangs at various
> parts of the install.

Start a new thread with one problem, giving error messages or at least
detailed symptoms, etc.