fakeRAID instructions applied to Kubuntu

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Mon Jun 19 01:07:22 BST 2006

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:
> Yeah, I did read the big note at the top, but unfortunately, I fall into the
> latter category:
> "So far, this works for some, while for others, Ubuquity crashes."
> So I'm forced to follow the manual steps.
>
> I've run into a problem.  See the "Temporary Note" at the bottom
> of "Installing the Base System":
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/FakeRaidHowto?highlight=%28raid%29#head-b3ee9096ee8ca7f93e5fe6f2da2cc80cbf079eeb
>
> What is described in the note happened to me, but the solution in the note
> doesn't work.  When I try to run dpkg-reconfigure dmraid, I get an error:
> /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: dmraid is broken or not fully installed
>
> I really want to get Kubuntu working on my fake RAID and reiserfs, but it's
> looking bleak...

I don't know for sure, but you may want to re-install the dmraid
package. I had a kernel image that was really giving me problems on a
machine until I removed the image, and installed it off of the network.
Somehow it had been corrupted from the CD.

sudo apt-get remove --purge dmraid
sudo apt-get install dmraid

When you remove it, dpkg will probably remove at least kubuntu-desktop,
and maybe a few other things. Write them down so you can re-install them
afterwards.

I do not know if this is a good way to go about fixing your problem, but
given my current knowledge, this would be my next try. I might be using
a sledge hammer to install a finish nail...

HTH,
-Matt