How do I enable root login?

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jun 16 09:03:03 UTC 2006

Michel D'HOOGE wrote:

>     The root account is standard linux.  Many of the books tell the
>     readers
>     to log in as root, or su to do tasks, and if the root account is
>     disabled, the procedures in the book will not work.
>

> You're right on that... But you quickly get the habit to translate the
> examples & add sudo in front of all the needed commands.
>
>     Typing sudo in front of all commands is a pain
>

> I won't start argueing on the benefits of su & sudo - google has
> already plenty of threads on that ;-)
>
>     sudo /bin/bash
>

> quicker one: sudo -i
>
>     exit
>

> Quicker : Ctrl-D
>

> --
> Michel
Most of the time when you need root privileges it's only to run one
command anyway so to go thru the su...password...command...exit process
gets annoying anyway, sudo is quicker. And if you need a root session
sudo -i works, I haven't had need to login as root or use su in a long
time (since I've had (K)ubuntu basically) ;)

Tez