mounting problems with udf-DVDRAM

Christian Fröbel cfroebel at web.de
Thu Jun 15 04:31:53 UTC 2006

Hello,

with dapper I have mounting problems, but only with udf-formatted DVDRAM
media. Sometimes they are automatically mounted, sometimes not (even the same
medium). If a medium cannot be automatically mounted it goes like this: I
insert the medium. A short time later the KDE-dialog appears, asking me what
to do with it. At the same time an icon appears on the desktop. But only for
a very short time, then the icon disappears again. If I select "Open in new
Window" in the KDE-dialog. The filemanager opens, saying something
like "malformed URL", or such. Strange.

My /etc/fstab also has en entry for the dvd drive:
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

And if an automatic mount fails, it still works if I do it by hand, i. e.
mount /dev/hdc as user.

Any ideas? Could it be that is has something to do with the hal-configuration
(which I don't know much about)?

cheers,
  Christian