Breezy to Dapper upgrade tips

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Wed Jun 14 00:14:21 BST 2006

On Tuesday 13 June 2006 19:11, Art Alexion wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 June 2006 15:56, Dariusz J. Garbowski wrote:
> > Is

> > > Nothing is safe in this world, of course something will go wrong when u
> > > upgrade.
> > > Unless you have a total backup of everything......
> >
> > This kind of update failed totally on my machine :( not only eventually
> > the machine hanged up during upgrade (I had to hard reset it) but also
> > completely messed up the system so it was unbootable. I ended up
> > installing Dapper from scratch.
> >
> > My take would be: do it right, do clean install and be done with it.
>
> I used the change sources & apt method for
> 	warty --> hoary
> 	hoary --> breezy
> Never a problem.  Only my advice would be, wait until July.  With the
> exception of warty, I've always waited about two months from the official
> release date to let the bugs get cleaned out.  There are always bugs
> discovered during a general release that were missed or overlooked during
> the beta period.  I think people who grab beta software are more tolerant.

One more thing.  I always download the ISO (I'd go with the "alternative") and
burn to CD and substitute that in the sources.list, also.  I get the
impression that most people just comment the CD our when doing an apt based
dist-upgrade.  Maybe that has helped alleviate my problems.

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.
Info @