howto backup list of installed packages?

Oscar Carlsson monotux at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 12:41:03 UTC 2006

Hello,

APT (or rather dpkg) has a wonderful feature for this:
dpkg --get-selections > installed-packages.txt

If you want to try a system upgrade but want to be able to restore your
previous system, you can use "dpkg --set-selections" instead.

For more information, see the man page for dpkg ("man dpkg")

Oscar