3d acceleration (i810)

MLA mla at forrussia.org
Sun Jun 11 04:09:54 BST 2006

    I've been looking at the various wikis and HOWTOs (K/Ubuntu's included)
and still cannot get proper 3d acceleration. Namely, when running something
like glxgears, my CPU usage shoots up to nearly 100%, which I interpret to
mean that the GPU isn't being used. I have tried setting the DefaultDepth in
xorg.conf to both 16 and 24 (since I read somewhere that acceleration at 24
isn't there yet), but 16 uses more CPU than 24 (which chugged along at 80% or
thereabouts.) In addition, when I run glxgears from the command line, I don't
get any fps listed (in fact, nothing is listed), but it's definitely not
going fast.
    The relevant info:

From lspci:
0000:00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM
Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
0000:00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
Graphics Device (rev 02)

glxinfo | grep direct
direct rendering: Yes

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf (relevant portions):
Section "Module"
    Load    "dri"
    Load    "glx"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics
Device"
        Driver          "i810"
        BusID           "PCI:0:2:0"
        VideoRam        16384