Problems recognising partitions during install

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 19:28:20 UTC 2006

I'm trying to do a clean instalation of DD via the alternative CD. My
pre-reinstall fstab looks like this:
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda2 / ext3
defaults,errors=remount-ro,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,nouser 0 1
/dev/hda5 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,nouser 0 2
/dev/hda3 /home/dotancohen/pictures ext3
defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,nouser 0 2
/dev/hdb1 /home/dotancohen/music ext3
defaults,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid,nouser 0 2
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,iocharset=iso8859-8,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto
,iocharset=iso8859-8,atime,noauto,rw,dev,exec,suid,user 0 0

Note that hda3 and hdb1 are not backed up because my CD burner died. I
_cannot_ get it to burn, and I won't be able to for a few more days
when I get a replacement. Although, the system is pretty much trashed
and I need to reinstall. Everything else is backed up.

When I try to install, the installer does not recognise the current
partitions and wants to erase the whole of hda. hdb it is letting me
keep (marked with a K). Why shouldn't it recognise the current
partitions, and what must I do to correct the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/firefox.html
634