GL Screensavers Disabled??

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 21:56:39 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 06 June 2006 2:38 pm, Roger Haxton wrote:
> On Tuesday June 6 2006 13:45, Dave Vincenty wrote:
> > Regarding my complaints about disappearing screen savers... I am still
> > seriously hoping somebody on this mailing list has a solution.
> >
> > I know when I upgraded to Dapper Drake, a lot of stuff was uninstalled
> > and a lot of stuff was installed.  I've tried looking at the
> > repositories... and I've tried doing "apt-get build-dep -f xscreensaver"
> > from the command line... I still don't know where my favorite screen
> > savers have gone.
> >
> > As for screen savers I thought I didn't have, I've discovered "GLMatrix"
> > and "Flying Toasters" by Jamie Zawinski back in my list again... so
> > that's a good sign.
>
> Here's a really fun fact.  I am missing the same screensavers in KDE.
> However, if I login to GNOME bouncing cow, BSOD, phosphor, to name some
> (and two of my favourites, BTW) are there in GNOME on the same box.
> Somehow, they just aren't being seen by the KDE screensaver applet.

All you need to do, or at least all I had to do, to get them all back is
install the various xscreensaver packages, along with rss-glx.  Make sure you
install the xscreensaver package because evidently it has what KDE needs to
see "glmatrix" and others even though the files are installed with the
kdescreensaver package.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.