Can't play music after upgrade to dapper -Solved!

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Sat Jun 3 14:30:05 UTC 2006

Toby Dickenson wrote:
> On Saturday 03 June 2006 05:55, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>

>>No, there is only one soundcard - an SBLive.
>

> Ive had the same problem. I only have one soundcard, but I do have a webcam
> with a microphone. Dapper is detecting the webcam as the first alsa device
> and, I guess, other apps are trying to play though that.
>
> (for now my usb webcam is unplugged, and everything works fine)
>
> Try "aplay -l".... does that list more than one device?

Yes there was only one sound card.

I first tried the Kubuntu desktop cd (the live one) and the sound worked
- so I then did a fresh install using the Kubuntu alternate cd (I wanted
to keep /home and wasn't sure if the desktop cd would let me) but still
no sound :-(

I eventually found a solution (I don't know if it is *THE* solution as a
new user account doesn't have any sound).
Anyway, I opened up System Settings > System Services and enabled
'alsa-utils'. Now I have sound (actually I didn't until I enabled 'Full
Duplex' under System Settings > Sound & Multimedia > Hardware).

For some strange reason under one account I can't get any volume control
with Xmms !!??

Maybe there is a better solution........

Blessings,

Nigel

P.S. Should I file a bug report - no sound on a fresh install with
SBlive 5.1 ?

--
PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/