Adding repositories to Adept

Christian Fröbel cfroebel at web.de
Sat Jun 3 05:54:41 UTC 2006

Hey Paul,

for me the following worked:

In Adept go to Manage Repositories.
There, paste the repository line in the field near the bottom.
Hit Add.
Hit Apply.
Hit Fetch Updates (which brings you back to the Package Selection)
Hit Full Upgrade
Hit Apply Changes (which starts the download/install)

Then you should be done.

Quite a long list of actions to be done for such an easy task, I think. I had
problems using Adpet as well. For me it was not obvious how to use it. For
example, after adding a repository to the list, I forgot to Apply, switched
back to the Package Selection, and the repository I wanted to add was lost.
Or, I expected the Full Upgrade to *do* the upgrade. I hit it several times
wondering why nothing happened. Then I thought that maybe Apply Changes could
help -- and it did. Also, switching between Repository Management and Package
Selection in the way Adept does it, feels strange to me. Also what does Fetch
Updates mean. Fetch Updates does not actually update something, I guess.
Where is the difference between Update and Upgrade?

Of course Adept is way better than using command line tools. But still there
is a lot to improve, I think.

Hope it works for you now.

Would be interesting to know why it actually didn't work for you. Was it
because Adept behaves in a way you didn't expect? Could be a good hint for
the Adept developers. Hope the copy this thread.

cheers,
  Christian