Kubuntu 6.06 LTS Here for the Long Term

Joe Hart j.hart at hccnet.nl
Fri Jun 2 17:51:25 UTC 2006

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I just want to pop it in and get to the install. I also want to change
> the partitions, so it looks like the alternative iso is for me.
> Downloading now, thanks.
>
> Note: I'm downloading Ubuntu and upgrading to Kubuntu this time. I
> want to have things like Gnome-VFS working so that I can use Bluefish
> on remote sites. Anybody see a downside to this?
I felt the same way.  I don't like the live installer.  I upgraded by
installing Ubuntu Breezy, then changed my sources.list to dapper then
ran automatix to get the goodies, and finally installed
kubuntu-desktop.  I prefer KDE to gnome, that's why I run kubuntu, but
there are things in gnome that are quite nice (gdesklets is one of them,
which automatix can install as it doesn't come standard).

I just wish that when I installed the kubuntu desktop that it would
include the gnome applications that are on the system in the menu, but
the KDE menus are not difficult to modify, so I just added the few gnome
programs that I use.

Everything is running fine, except for my video (which worked fine in
Breezy), and that's not (k)ubuntu's fault, but ATI's.  The latest fglrx
works fine, but for some reason if I try to switch to another virtual
terminal, when I try to get back to X my system freezes.  Nothing short
of pulling the plug will revive it.  BAD for the file system.

I am seriously considering switching to a nvidia card, but I have heard
rumors that some of those also have problems.  Anyone have any
suggestions of a card that works PROPERLY with Dapper and doesn't cost a
fortune ($100-150)?

Joe