problem foomatic (epson rx620)

Colin Pinkney kubuntu-users at cpinkney.org.uk
Mon Jul 31 19:14:52 UTC 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006 15:24, karl vanwynsberghe wrote:
> When i try to install the printer by using the System settings, Printers,
> Add... and selecting the proper driver i receive a error message.
> (And the printer doesn't work...)
>
> Driver selection;
> Epson Stylus Photo RX620 (Foomatic + gutenprint) [recommended]
>
> Error message;
> Unable to load the requested driver:
> Unable to create the Foomatic driver [Epson-Stylus_Photo_RX620,gutenprint].
> Either that driver does not exist, or you don't have the required
> permissions to perform that operation.

I had the exact same error with a fresh install of Kubuntu 6.06 and a HP
Deskjet 930c printer.

I think there is a bug with the KDE Printer admin app as I was able to use the
CUPS web interface to add my printer: http://localhost:631/

The instructions in the 2nd paragraph tell you how to re-enable the CUPS
administration features. Basically run

sudo adduser cupsys shadow

and then restart CUPS with

sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart

I was then able to add my printer using the admin features in the CUPS web
interface http://localhost:631/ just as easy as with the KDE interface. It
asks for a username and password so I entered the first (admin, but not root)
user username and password and it let me in. I guess anyone in the lpadmin
group can get in.

Disclaimer: It states they disabled the web admin features of CUPS for some
security reasons, but don't state what. I imagine if its a home network or
the PC is behind a firewall it is relatively safe.

--
Colin Pinkney
http://www.cpinkney.org.uk