Kubuntu 6.06 and file sharing (NFS) setup

ac "aec$news" at candt.waitrose.com
Sun Jul 30 11:56:00 UTC 2006

Tez wrote:
> ac wrote:
>> Tez wrote:

>>> Have yo installed the "nfs-kernel-server" package?
>>> Tez
>>>

>> I just looked. (In Kubuntu 6.06) there is no package like that being
>> shown in add/remove programs even with the unsupported repositories
>> included. I think I have the extra repos. included in the list ok.
>> Should I be doing something else?
>>
>> thanks
>>
> I found a NFS server howto on the ubuntu help site:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo
> that should get you set up.

Many thanks.
I found most of the solution for me after a better understanding of
terms. Below is a copy of part of my discussion in  Kubuntu Forums:
=========================
Quote from: opie on July 25, 2006, 02:12:36 am
>kubuntu doesn't seem to install nfs-common and nfs-user-server.
>I would think, at minimum, you would need nfs-common.
>After I installed both these I could get into the kde file sharing
screen.

Thanks again.
A key point of enlightenment and understanding for me has been that
nfs-common and similar, are in fact not Programs to be dealt with via
Add/Remove Programs (where they could not be seen.....) because they
are not programs, but packages (!)
Things became more productive once I began using System>Adept (Package
Manager), Adept Manager, (search) nfs,
etc

I note that:
For nfs-common, nfs-kernel-server, nfs-user-server,
a) libnfsidmap1 is also installed as an automatic choice
b) nfs-kernel-server and nfs-user-server are mutually exclusive, with
only one being allowed installed

I am trying the possibilities with both nfs-kernel-server and
nfs-user-server, and I also have a firewall front end (firestarter).
With the various possibilities, and my limited knowledge (  :-)  ), it
may take a little time for me to get to know how to drive this
thing........

However, nfs certainly now works  :-)
(ac)