a most annoying difference between Ubuntu Gnome & Kubuntu

Freddie Cash fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca
Fri Jul 28 18:42:30 UTC 2006

On Wed, July 26, 2006 8:40 am, O. Sinclair wrote:
> And still - as stated initially; Joe Average should not have to
> fiddle with etc/fstab or other tricks to simply access files on a
> share. Thats where the beauty of the Gnome VFS and Keyring lies. It
> just works. Note that I am a Kubuntu-user myself but stuff like that
> makes me lean towards trying Gnome. HATE Evolution though and love
> Kontact. Maybe I can run Kontact under
> Gnome....

How do you access files on Windows shares when working on a Windows
station?  There are two methods:
  - open Network Neighbourhood and browse around until you find the
server, find the directory, find the file, then double-click on the
file.  A login box pops up and you enter the username/password for
that share on that server.  The password is cached for awhile, but
you may need to re-enter it when opening other files.  Very
cumbersome, and not very fast.  Files can't easily be opened via
Open/Save dialogs.
  - open Windows Explorer and map the share to a drive letter so that
you can access all files on there from any Open/Save dialog or Run
box.

So, if you need to a map a share to a drive letter in Windows, why do
you think it's "too much work" to map a share in Linux?

Just mount the Windows share to a directory on your Linux system and
access the files the same way you would any other file on your system.
 This is also guaranteed to work with *every* application on your
system, regardless of whether its a GTK, GNOME, KDE, X11, CLI,
whatever.

You can mount SMB/CIFS shares as a normal user as long as you mount to
a directory that you own.

KDE and GNOME both provide nice graphical methods for mounting shares,
or you can do at the CLI.  You can even put it into a dot-file so that
the share gets mounted automatically when you login.

Why are you trying to make this more complicated by using
GNOME-specific or KDE-specific methods using VFS/KIO?  Just mount the
damn share and be done with it.

----
Freddie Cash, LPCI-1 CCNT CCLP        Helpdesk / Network Support Tech.
School District 73                    (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]
fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca