WPA in kubuntu

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 26 13:35:20 UTC 2006

Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> On Tuesday 25 July 2006 17:21, Derek Broughton wrote:
>

>> successfully.  However, I don't use WPA, but despite Jonathan's post
>> I've seen many people say it does work with WPA and clearly when I do
>> connect it _checks_ for WPA. --
>
> You know what, I probably meant to say kwifimanager there, which

Perhaps - I found knetworkmanager very simple compared to kwifimanager
(and /etc/network/interfaces).

> definitely has no WPA support in it. Even if it did, I'd still greatly
> prefer a wireless mechanism that wasn't dependent on KDE, but that came

knetworkmanager is merely a kde frontend to networkmanager.  Of course,
kwifimanager is a kde frontend to ifupdown, /etc/network/interfaces and
maybe a couple of other tools - either of the KDE frontends could be
removed and your network should work as it always did before.

> up at boot time regardless of whether I was in KDE or not. What I found
> with using kwifimanager on a WEP network is that until I had actually
> logged into KDE, it didn't bring the wireless interface up. I'm sure
> I'm not the only one who finds that to be a nonstarter.

I can't see how that can happen, unless the WEP key is actually provided by
kwifimanager instead of stored in /etc/network/interfaces.  In which case,
I'm pretty sure it could be hardcoded in /etc/network/interfaces

> A wifi manager should definitely have a GUI frontend, but it should not
> be dependent on that frontend to work.

Definitely.  Whenever my laptop is _on_ it's retrieving mail, even if I'm
not logged in.
--
derek