Mounting removable drives

Michael Hirsch mdhirsch at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 14:25:52 UTC 2006

On 7/26/06, Ylan Segal <ylan.segal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael Hirsch wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I am new to Kubuntu, but quite experienced with Linux.  I've recently
> > installed Kubuntu and am trying to get comfortable using it.  One
> > thing I can't figure out is how to get my compact flash and sd cards
> > to mount.
>
> For most people it does just that.
>
> Are you connecting a USB device? Are you using a hub? If you are, try
> connecting it directly to the computer port.

It is a USB device connected directly to the motherboard.  I just
realized I had a typo in my first message, it is lsusb, not lspci,
that sees it as:
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 07cc:0301 Carry Computer Eng., Co., Ltd 6-in-1
Card Reader
I don't have a hub attached.

> > What am I missing?  Clearly, something is wrong--I've never seen the
> > cards not recognized by the kernel before.
>
> I have a powered hub that doesn't work with the Ubuntu stock kernel, but
> works just fine after I recompile the kernel with a patch.

I expected it to work out of the box--it certainly did with Mandriva.
And I totally weirded out by not seeing any kernel messages when I
insert a card.  I'm not sure where to go next.

Michael