grub file

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Tue Jul 25 01:45:33 UTC 2006

On Monday 24 July 2006 11:49, Mitch Thompson wrote:
> Richard E. Barmann wrote:

> >>sudo vi /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >>

> >Right click on the "menu.lst" file and go to actions in the drop down
> > menu.   One of the choices in actions is "edit as root"
> >

> Back home, this is known as "more than one way to skin a cat" (apologies
> to cat lovers on the list).

and here are two more

from konsole type
kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst &

You get an input box where you type your user password.
Now you can edit the file "as root".

or

Press <Alt>+F2.  type kdesu kate /boot/grub/menu.lst

The same steps as above follow.

BUT....

...AND I THINK THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT.

If your Linux skills are so rudimentary, I would not play with editing grub's
menu.lst by hand.  That's why Linux doesn't let you edit grub unless you have
root privileges.

In a traditional Linux system, with a root account and not sudo or kdesu,
etc., Users with your inexperience were not given the root password to
prevent them from messing things up.  The beauty of Linux permissions is that
they protect the system from people without root access, thereby preventing
them from messing things up.

With Ubuntu's adoption of sudo and using your user password, everyone (because
everyone is a sudoer by default) can get root access.  That can be dangerous.
If you don't

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

alarm.