Turning off services.

gabrielle harrison and Paul van den Bergen gabpaul at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jul 21 01:11:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 11:03:00 +1000, Art Alexion <art.alexion at verizon.net>
wrote:

> On Thursday 20 July 2006 19:09, gabrielle harrison and Paul van den
> Bergen
> wrote:
>> multiuser mode (2-5) and ofcourse reboot (6) and halt
>> (0). I.e. what the difference between the multi-user runtime levels is
>> is
>> not clear to me...
>
> 3 is text mode and 5 is GUI mode (X).  I'm not sure about 2 & 4.

looking at what is listed as started at boot at various runtime levels did
not give me a clear idea what is going on, but it did occur to me that if
a device is not required, starting it would not necessarily suceed??? so
perhaps start at boot really means try to start at boot...

just speculating out loud waiting for someone who knows something to chime
in :-)

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Chance favours the prepared mind