removing unused kernels

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Thu Jul 20 21:38:57 UTC 2006

Jose Gomez-Dans wrote:

> On 7/20/06, Christopher J. Bottaro <cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> apt has installed a few kernels and now I want to get rid of the old
>> ones. How do I see a list of the kernels currently installed?
>
> If you remove the linux-image packages that you don't want with adept,
> the associated "restricted-modules" packages will also be removed
> (they depend on the particular kernels)

Ahh, thanks, that's what I was looking for...but it doesn't remove the
installed kernel headers.

$ dpkg -l | grep linux-image
linux-image-2.6.15-23-686
linux-image-2.6.15-26-686
linux-image-686

What confuses me is 'linux-image-686'.  I'm guessing that's some kind of
meta package that I should just leave alone.

Meta packages confuse me in general.  When should I install them or remove
them?

Thanks.