dma and older hard disks

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Wed Jul 19 08:34:36 UTC 2006

Roman Kirillov wrote:
> On 7/19/06, Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote:
>>
>> Roman Kirillov wrote:

>> <sigizmund at gmail.com

>> time.

>> not

>> each

>> :-)

>> > Mate, may be this will help you:
>> > http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=30949
>> >
>> > BTW google is our friend :-)
>> >

>> There was a problem with our mail server so I didn't get any messages
>> for nearly a whole day - so I had to google ;-)
>>
>> I did try to enable dma but then on a reboot it was even slower and I
>> gave up waiting!
>> I dug out a 30 GB hard disk and am now installing on that.
>

> Hmm.. sounds strange... can you please  provide me with your  HDD models,
> I'll google for it - if it supports DMA, it cannot slowdown the system!
>

> Congrats with your new HDD, it's much better idea, I hope :)
>
> Regards,
> Roma
>

> !DSPAM:44bdde3957011811889055!

The first is a Seagate ST33232A with 6253 CYL 3227 MB 16 HEADS 63 SECTORS

The second is a Samsung WN32543A CYL 4924 HD 16 SEC 63 2.54GB

Like I said, I enabled dma and the boot process took about 2 minutes to
get past the 'booting root filesystem' - that's when I gave up and put
in the 30GB disk.

Blessings,

Nigel

--