dma and older hard disks

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Wed Jul 19 07:16:16 UTC 2006

Roman Kirillov wrote:
> On 7/19/06, gabrielle harrison and Paul van den Bergen <
> gabpaul at melbpc.org.au> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:01:22 +1000, Roman Kirillov <sigizmund at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> disks
>> 3.5.3)
>> something
>> >

>> > Hi Nigel,
>> >
>> > Can you provide us with these HDDs models, etc? I think it's pretty
>> safe
>> > enable DMA, 'coz for 2G+ models UDMA33 already worked, almost for each
>> > one.
>> > So you can try.
>> >
>> > Roman
>>
>> My first thought was to look up the specs for the HDD in question...
>>
>> other things to check is BIOS IDE settings.
>>
>> you can also manually set the dma mode - though for the life of me I
>> can't
>> recall how off the top of my head...
>> Oh. Now I know... atacontrol on FreeBSD... forget I said anything... :-)
>>
>> still, if it is possible in one versuation of unix it should
>> theoretically
>> be possible in all ;-) right? *BG*
>>
>> that reminds me - is there a inverse man page list somewhere?
>> perhapos this needs a new email... pardon me...
>

> Mate, may be this will help you:
> http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=30949
>
> BTW google is our friend :-)

There was a problem with our mail server so I didn't get any messages
for nearly a whole day - so I had to google ;-)

I did try to enable dma but then on a reboot it was even slower and I
gave up waiting!
I dug out a 30 GB hard disk and am now installing on that.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
PrayingForIsrael.net