dma and older hard disks

Nigel Ridley nigel at i-amfaithweb.net
Tue Jul 18 19:47:34 UTC 2006

I'm sending this again as it didn't seem to get thru the first time.

I have just put together an AMD K6 500 using two older small hard disks
- one 3.5 GB and the other 2.5 GB. They are about 6-7 years old.
after doing the initial install, then the upgrade (including KDE 3.5.3)
I rebooted and noticed in the boot messages a warning that dma is not
enabled and that accessing the hard drive[s] might be slow (or something
like that). YES, they are slooooow.

So, my question: How can I determine if it safe to enable dma on these
two oldish hard drives?

Blessings,

Nigel

--