Pin priority of packages

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Tue Jul 18 13:16:59 UTC 2006

John L Fjellstad wrote:

> Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> writes:
>
>> Do you have a default repository set in apt preferences?
>>
>> iirc, default priority of any repo is 500.  If you set a default repo
>> either at the command line or in the config files, you raise its pin
>> priority to 700 (the numbers may be wrong, but that's the idea).  If
>> you just move all the conf files out of the way, it should find all
>> the security packages.
>
> Not in preferences, but kubuntu sets up a default repository in
> /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99release

Are you sure kubuntu did that?  I don't have one.  I think I can reliably
say I never had 99release, because I actually have a 10release~ still
hanging around (from breezy days - and when I was messing with pinning) -
though I thought that I created that.

> Have you gotten any updated packages lately from dapper-security?
> These are the packages that got updated when I changed the pin priority
> for dapper-security to 999:

Definitely - but then I don't have a 99release :-)

>  [UPGRADE] binutils 2.16.1cvs20060117-1ubuntu2 ->
>  [2.16.1cvs20060117-1ubuntu2.1

derek at othello:~$ aptitude show binutils
Package: binutils
State: installed
Automatically installed: no
Version: 2.16.1cvs20060117-1ubuntu2.1
derek at othello:~$ apt-cache policy binutils
binutils:
  Installed: 2.16.1cvs20060117-1ubuntu2.1
  Candidate: 2.16.1cvs20060117-1ubuntu2.1
  Version table:
 *** 2.16.1cvs20060117-1ubuntu2.1 0
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com dapper-security/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     2.16.1cvs20060117-1ubuntu2 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com dapper/main Packages

So, yes, I have the one that you're looking at, and everything is at default
priority.
--
derek