Linux equivalent to News Rover

Brian Pack afcpack at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 14 13:59:02 UTC 2006

I've been using Pan as my USENET reader for some time now, but whenever I'm on
the Windows side, I use News Rover. I like News Rover's ability to recognize
split files (i.e. file.001, .002, etc) as one file, and knowing how to join
them, whereas Pan sees them as individual files that have to be manually
joined later. News Rover also can uncompress RAR archives inside the
newsreader, and clean up afterwards. It also uses PAR files to repair damaged
files where necessary.

News Rover runs acceptably enough in WINE, although the tweaks I had to use
have it running in every desktop. I'd really prefer a Linux native newsreader
that does these things.