Mounting UFS drives - is this a unix holy war?

gabrielle harrison and Paul van den Bergen gabpaul at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jul 14 00:34:53 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I've got both FreeBSD and kubuntu machines running at the moment and
occasionally I've needed to mount a HDD from one machine on the other.

I know they use different partition schemes.  so why is ther no obvious
mount type for them (fdisk is quite happy with all the official available
formats - er... except when I go to see exactly where to give an example,
I can't find it... *sheesh*)

I know FreeBSD has a mount_ext2fs (not sure why it does not have ext3fs)
but linux does not seem to have a mount_ufs equivalent. is this right?

OK, so here is what I want to know...

whats with linux and BSD not recognising each others disk formats? How
does one get around this seemingly (presumably) shortsighted injunction?

ideally I want to set up 1 machine with 3 disks... 1 with root mount
points and shared swap and one each for /usr for FreeBSD and for kubuntu

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Chance favours the prepared mind