Dapper upgrade from Breezy (sources.list)

gabrielle harrison and Paul van den Bergen gabpaul at melbpc.org.au
Fri Jul 14 00:01:22 UTC 2006

I had a very frustrating experience upgrading from 5.10 to 6.06 (or, in my
best Monty Python(C) voice - "I have a complaint!")

I have dialup. estimated time to upgrade was on the order of 5 days. So I
wait for the CD. The CD wants to overwrite my machine, so I spent 4 days
attempting to backup, just in case - don't ask, big hassle, should have
done it yonks ago anyway. So I go to install, and it now says it will take
3 days.... At this point I have no choice. 3 days later it finishes... but
no! it does not boot into KDM (or gdm) and there is no KDE installed,
though startx produces a gnome install, with most stuff missing.
Reinstalling Kubuntu-desktop takes another day or 2 and lots of fiddling
reinstalling open office - lots of uninstalled/broken packages...
including gksu - kinda important, really...

here is what I find disappointing.

the CD had no upgrade path
the CD did not have repositories for KDE, Linux kernel or even Xorg - the
3 biggest items I had to download and install

still, it mostly works now... I'm sure I'll find various broken bits as I
go... like wincodec...

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Chance favours the prepared mind