Data recovery, an ext2/3 advantage?

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 18:53:36 UTC 2006

On 07/13/2006 11:35 AM, Marcus wrote:
> Thursday, July 13, 2006, 12:02:20 AM, you wrote:
> Dariusz> There is also free (as in libre, not just beer ;-) ext2/3
> Dariusz> forensic/recovery tool called Foremost (look on Sourceforge). Worked
> Dariusz> brilliantly for me when I really needed it!
>
> Thanks, I'll give Foremost a try. What situation did you have? In my case it was a corrupted partition table, so the partitions could not be mounted conventionally.

I had an 60GB IBM hard drive to die but before it died completely
(making very disturbing noises, which you never want to hear from a HD)
I managed to make a copy using dd. Unfortunately the copy was corrupted
due to I/O errors on the dying disk. There was no way to mount copied
image, it was way too corrupted, but Foremost helped me retrieve quite a
few files I needed.

Regards,
Dariusz