ipod eject and desktop icon

Tez binary_y2k2 at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 13 06:02:25 UTC 2006

Haldor Riddering wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> I have a 30gig colour ipod.
>> anyways it mounts fine under /media/sda2 & /dev/sda3
>> even got gtkpod to work with it now so thats cool.
>>
>> In Gnome it comes up on the desktop and is as easy as a right click
>> eject to make it work but can't seem to figure out how to do it in KDE
>>
>> anyways what I was hoping for under kde was maybe an icon on the
>> desktop so  I could eject it.
>> I tried sudo eject /media/sda2 & sda3 but just comes up with eject:
>> tried to use `/media/sda3' as device name but it is no block device
>> eject: unable to find or open device for: `/media/sda3'
>>
>> if I sudo umount/media/sda2 it does it but the ipod "do not
>> disconnect message" is still going. I know I can just unplug it but
>> would be nice to get it back to neutral before pulling the plug.
>>
>> any help appreciated
>>

> Actually think I got it sorted.
> made a script to handle eject /dev/sdaX
> so will disconnect the ipod now.
>
> still would prefer an icon on the desktop and auto mounting instead of
> having it open folder views but thats a separate issue I'll keep
> looking into.

If you open Konqueror to system:/media then you can right-click on the
ipod and select safely remove.
But yeah, all that dose is unmount (if mounted) and eject /dev/sda2
TBW you can just use the command "eject sda2" (no need to do /dev)

I have my iPod mount to /media/ipod so i can just do "eject ipod"  :-D

Tez