specify resolution at boot time

cliff1976 kubuntu at cliff1976.com
Tue Jul 11 21:15:27 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I looked for info on this via goole and searching my personal archives of
this mailing list to no avail.

I really liked being able choose my resolution and depth when booting off of
the Kubuntu 6.06 Live CD.  Looks nice when I choose 1280x800 (WXGA laptop
display) and whatever color depth is presented to me at that resolution (I
forget which one it was - 24 or 32 bits or something).

When I boot from my laptop's hard drive, however, it's another story.  It
looks like it's forcing the display to  1024x768 and the splash logo and the
little status bar thing and scrolling startup list are horribly off-center
to the left and illegible.  Also, booting to a terminal puts the prompt way
off kilter (but to the right, of all things) and makes the command line
unusable.

What setting do I have to tweak to get this to work right?  Is it a
commandline option in grub?  Is it something I have to edit into
menu.lst(I've been reading up on this all night and the vga=791 option
keeps coming
back to me...but that looks like it's intended for 1024x768 - what should I
use for 1280x800?).  Once X starts, my tweaks to the xorg.conf file take
effect and everything looks nice at 1280x800 - it's just the boot/splash
screen stuff that remains beyond my reach.

This is really the last basic tweak I think I need to do to this laptop to
have it working perfectly with Kubuntu 6.06.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Cliff