laptop-mode disabled in kernel?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue Jul 11 20:16:23 UTC 2006

James Gray said...

> marc wrote:
> > In Dapper, my laptop fan never turns off after the first few minutes. It
> > is always on. Whereas, in Windows, it rarely comes on. I'm pretty sure
> > that this is because the disk never spins down.
>
> - -->8-- Snipped --8<--
>
> > Back to the disk. There's only one active ext3 partition plus swap - all
> > other partitions are noauto. I've tried noatime and commit=600, but to
> > noavail. Any ideas?
>
> ext3 is the problem with your disk.  It uses a forced-flush interval of
> about 30 sec IIRC.  In other words, regardless of what is or isn't going
> on, the ext3 driver forces a sync and hence the hard drive never goes to
> sleep (neither would you if someone poked you in the ribs every 30
> seconds!).
>
> Solution, unfortunately, requires reformatting ALL the ext3 partitions
> with something else.  I'd suggest reiserfs as, like ext3, is a
> journaling file system and is quite mature.  I can't remember if jfs and
> xfs use the same "fixed sync interval" fru-fru like ext3 though, so I'll
> hold short of recommending them.

Thanks for this. I was in two minds about going this way, but then
decided to jump.

And now, I have a little problem :-o

Here's the story, so far

- moved Kubuntu (on sda3) to a safe place while booted on another
partition (sda6)
- formatted sda3 as reiserfs
- amended both fstabs (sda3 and sda6)
- mounted the newly formatted partition
- moved the data back onto sda3
- rebooted.

Grub currently loads from sda3, or rather it doesn't now. I'm getting an
error 17 : Cannot mount selected partition. I'm not overly surprised,
but I'm not sure what to do next.

I can mount the partition from a live CD without a problem, and I
obviously mounted it from my sda6 partition.

Suggestions welcomed.

--
Best,
Marc